The charmingly sweet prep school uniform has graduated from the confines of the classroom and is ready to step out into the world of grown-ups, one patent leather Chelsea boot at a time. And to honor the fast approaching end exam season this semester, I have decided to school you in all things geek chic (you bet that pun was intended).
These are a few of my favorite prep school-inspired things! And they can all be combined into one lovely outfit:
1. A structured leather bag: instantly brings a hint of professional polish to a more casual outfit. (Rebecca Minkoff)
2. The classic silk blouse: A classic wardrobe piece that needs no further introduction. (Equipment)
3. Knits, knits, knits! Amazing to layer, plus they keep you toasty on cold winter days! (IRO)
Pro tip: If fabrics like wool drive your skin insane, layering a blouse underneath your knits will protect you from itchy fibers.
4. Wool Blazer: Why wool? Because it retains its shape better than lighter fabrics like cotton or polyester that tend to look lumpy if layered or worn for extended periods of time -just don’t get it wet… (Smythe)
5. Patent leather: These Harrison booties are my favorite shoe purchase of this season; they repel the wet snow and look amazing while doing it. (Jeffrey Campbell)
6. Cropped pants: Short enough that they show off your shoes, but long enough so you won’t look like you’re wearing capris out of season. (Vanessa Bruno Athé)